by Steven Kellogg
Paul Bunyan is about self-enhancement and prudence . The genre of the story is Comedy, Mythology/folktale, and Action/Adventure, the setting is Historical, and the heritage is North American.
Paul Bunyan and his band of loggers cross America, clearing the path for frontier settlers. Babe the Blue Ox and the giant Paul Bunyan conquer many challenges and help the settlers who are following them.
Moral reasoning in the story focuses on concern for relationships and concern for law and order.
The theme of the story is You can make great things happen!
Violence in the story is presented as humorous, positive, and negative, it is not graphic, and rewarded sometimes. Harm to other living things is acceptable with justification and focuses on outside family or group|.
The story is sometimes rude.
There is stereotyped male sex role in the story.
- Hard work
- Altruism/Unselfish care for others
- Destructive to environment/Ecocidal
The 4 Component Model
- Ethical Sensitivity - Evidence of concern for others and awareness of the consequences of one's actions.
- Ethical Judgment - Shows characters deliberating about ethical choices.
- Ethical Focus - Addresses the ethical demand in the situation, prioritizing moral goals and responsibilities over selfish interests.
- Ethical Action - Has a character who takes several steps to reach a moral goal and perseveres to complete the ethical action.